The winter wonderland
The ultimate tour for those who want to experience and get the most out of what the Icelandic interior has to offer during winter.
The perfect trip for a group of active friends, work colleagues or family members.
We pick you up at your hotel and take you to the interior for a few days stay in the area around Hekla volcano.
We use our days being as active as possible. Whatever the circumstances, your local professional guides will do what they can to make sure you get the most out of each day.
The options include taking Alpine routes in the neighboring mountain peaks, hiking on snow shoes or simply hanging out and enjoying the total remoteness and isolation to be experience out there.
The nights will be spent on sharing stories, talking about our adventures of the day and hopefully see the special natural lights that appear occasionally, the Northern Lights.
Reykjavik – Peak mountain base-camp
We depart from Reykjavik in the morning, heading east through the farmlands of the south-west. When we get closer to the famous volcano Eyjafjallajokull, that erupted in 2010, we turn off the main road and head to the dramatic landscape of the area surrounding Hekla Volcano. Hekla is the most active volcano in Iceland, presently “due for the next one”, (but don’t worry, we keep a safe distance!).
Getting to the base-camp from the main road on the super jeeps can take from between 1½ -5 hours depending what kind of weather/ground conditions we will have. However, just the journey alone makes the value of the tour unforgettable.
When we finally reach our destination we will have skiing awaiting us, learn about the area and enjoy a hot meal. We will spend the night sharing stories, talking about our adventurous day and hopefully seeing the Northern lights.
Into the Wild adventure
We will use our days being as active as possible. The days usually vary between 4-8 hours, depending on the weather and how the group feels. Whatever the circumstances, your local professional guides will do what they can to make sure you get the most out of the days.
The options are taking Alpine routes in the neighboring mountain peaks, such as Skyggnir or Sindri, both of which are volcanic peaks that loom impressively above the base camp with a estimated 6-8 hours ascent time.
The skiing options go from mellow slopes up to a great 45° downhill ride. With this variety of options, on a good day you should be able to cover 4-6 runs on different slopes.
In case of low cloud limiting the heights to which we can go, we can take out the snowshoes and explore the surrounding low level canyons.
In the evening hours we will talk about the day, make plans for the next day and basically have fun just “being in the moment”.
Peak mountain base-camp – Reykjavík
It ́s time to get ready for heading back to civilization, so we have breakfast and pack our bags. It takes a bit of time to organize the house but many hands do easy work. Once ready, we will make a trip to get picked up by the super jeeps.
Sometimes the conditions are tough for the super jeeps to get all the way to the hut. In that case we will use the snowmobile to transfer the luggage to a pre-set pickup location and we will head up to the mountains for the final ride.
After we have done a little bit of skiing or hiking then, after lunch, you can relax and reflect in the super jeeps
while we work our way back from the mountains. You can expect to be in Reykjavik between 6-8pm
Special notes and disclaimers
- Nature of the walking: walks are on trails and paths that can be uneven underfoot, particularly when crossing lava fields. Some steep ascents and descents can be experienced. Some trails take place in a remote environment with the associated environmental hazard and even covered with snow. It is the responsibility of the client to familiarize themselves with the nature of the walking and to prepare accordingly.
- Guides reserve the right to alter activities or switch days in the itinerary where safety or route availability is a concern due to weather conditions or unexpected events out of our control such as road works, environmental occurrences or non- compliance of third party suppliers.
- Guides reserve the right to alter activities or refuse further participation in an activity where the traveler is either ill prepared or badly equipped for the particular activity that may result in a compromise of safety.
- Pick and drop of at your hotel / accommodation
- All transportation while on trip, included especially adapted 4 wheel drive “super jeep” for travel to the interior.
- Dedicated service from South Iceland adventure and a mountain guide
- 3 nights in a Mountain hut, dorm nights
- Meals like listed in the itinerary
- Snowshoes, snowmobile for safety, map of the area.
- Safety and procedure planning
What’s not included?
- International flights
- Airport Meet & Greet
- Pre & post trip arrangements (feel free to reach out for assist with that)
- Breakfast on day 1 and Dinner on day 4
- Wine, beverages & refreshments
- Personal travel insurance
- Gratuities for the trip crew
- Backcountry skis and sleeping equipment
- Everything extra not stated in “What is included”