Waterfalls, glaciers and a recent volcanic activity.
The route starts at Skógar and goes up along the Skógá river with its over 20 waterfalls. The hike continues between the two icecaps, Eyjafjallajokull, the one that erupted in 2010, and Myrdalsjokull, the one beneath which sits the volcano Katla.
We pass the volcanic area from 2010 with its new lavas and still warm craters called Magni and Móði. From there we start the descent towards the beautiful Þórsmörk. In good conditions, being here is like standing on the top of the world, looking down on unimaginable, glorious creation.
We return from Þórsmörk on super jeeps, crossing un-bridged rivers and driving through rugged land, a brilliant end to a brilliant day.
The hiking route is around 24 kms and the elevation gain is around 1,050 metres. The duration of the hike is between 9-12 hours and the total duration of the trip between 11-14 hours.
- Operated mid June – end of September depending on conditions
- Available all days by request and min 3 persons
- Pick-up and drop-off in Hvolsvöllur and surrounding areas
- Hike from Skogar to Thorsmork
- Pick up in Thorsmork after the hike
- Experienced hiking guide
- From 9 – 12 hours hike
- Total duration of tour 10 – 14 hour
- You can request for a private tour