It is recommended to have a sturdy pair of broken-in trail shoes, boots, or sneakers (depending on the tour). It is preferable to dress in layers and wear clothing that will wick away perspiration and keep you dry and comfortable. We recommend that you take a small backpack with you where you can keep extra clothes. As the weather is very unpredictable we advice people to check the weather forecast the evening before.
Here is a list that is good to have in mind when packing for an active vacation in Iceland:
- Hiking Boots – Preferably of waterproof material (Gore-Tex or alternative)
- Long sleeve shirt (thermal underwear) – Wool or synthetic
- Light wool sweater or fleece (2nd layer)
- Trousers (2nd layer) – Strong and light material that dries quickly. Wind resistant and water repelling preferable.
- Rain Jacket or an Anorak with hood – Waterproof and breathable material. Gore-Tex or equivalents are preferable.
- Rain trousers – Waterproof and breathable material
- Liner Gloves – Wool or synthetic (polypropylene / polyester)
- Socks – Wool or synthetic. One or two pairs for thermal and blister prevention
- Hat or beanie – Wool or synthetic
We do suggest you bring appropriate clothing to fit the season and a day pack to carry lunch, extra snacks and water.
Please note: The basic price of our tours does not include lunch. However you can add lunchboxes in the booking process. If you want to bring your own lunch there is a supermarket at Hvölsvöllur (5 minutes walking distance from Midgard Base Camp).