On the 7-Day Epic Midgard Trek you will:
✓ Experience stunning off-the-beaten track landscapes
✓ Witness breathtaking mountains, glaciers, volcanoes, waterfalls and canyons
✓ Trek secluded parts of the highlands as well as the famous Laugavegur and Fimmvörðuháls
✓ Camp in the Valley of Thor, the Nordic Thunder God
✓ Experience 20 hours of daylight
✓ Connect with nature, yourself and others
What to expect?
The Icelandic highlands is home of the most incredible scenery and awe-inspiring landscapes on the planet. It provides the perfect setting for an epic trekking adventure. We have put together this 7-Day trek that takes you both to world famous parts of the highlands as well as introducing you to more secluded areas, far away from any tourists. An expert local guide will make sure you get the best possible experience.
Book now by using the form and we will get back to you shortly.
Please note: this tour is not available summer 2021 but will be available summer 2022.
Want to know more?
Check out the detailed itinerary for a description for each day.
All our multiday tours are also available as private.
In these uncertain times we want to inform you about what we are doing here at Midgard to support you and your travel plans. As the situation around the coronavirus continues to evolve, we are doing everything we can to ensure your travel safety and provide maximum flexibility. Please read further here.
|SEASON||May – October|
|DEPARTURE/RETURN||We pick you up at the airport and take care of you the whole time until we leave you in Reykjavík/airport in the afternoon of day 7|
|DURATION||7 days / 6 nights|
|PHYSICAL LEVEL||This trip includes moderate to intense physical activities. Expect to be active 6-8 hours most days. Participants should have an active lifestyle.|
|WEAR||Comfortable clothing, hiking shoes and warm clothes according to this area’s weather forecast and activities in our day to day description. Upon booking you will receive a detailed packing list.|
|GROUP SIZE||Min 4, max. 16 people. If you are fewer or more people please contact us. The size can be adjusted by request.|
|FOR WHOM?||Fits individuals, group of friends, couples and families with grown up kids. Can be adjusted to company groups that would like to add some work in to it. Few places are as inspiring for new ideas as the ones visited on this tour.|
|TRANSPORTATION||Mini-bus and super jeeps.|
Did you know that Midgard Adventure is also a travel agency? We will happily arrange your entire holiday for you. Contact us.
DAY 1 - Nice to meet you, Reykjavík!
- Arrive at Keflavik International Airport (KEF) where you’ll meet your guide and new friends.
- Take included transportation to Reykjavik for breakfast and go on a walking tour around the beautiful harbor.
- Explore Reykjavík’s charm as you explore the wonders of this amazing city.
- Depart for Midgard Base Camp in South Iceland and enjoy the scenic drive.
- Arrive at Base Camp in Hvolsvollur and begin preparing for your trekking adventure.
- An expert guide will help you set up your backpack and get you outfitted with gear and a safety talk.
- Enjoy an Icelandic dinner at Midgard Base Camp and get to know the new friends you’ll be trekking with.
- Sing Icelandic songs, tell stories and get a good night’s rest before the epic adventure that awaits.
DAY 2 - Trek: Hungurfit to Álftavatn
- Wake up early and enjoy an Icelandic breakfast at the Base Camp.
- Take included transportation on a super jeep towards Hungurfit and begin your trekking adventure.
- Today we’ll be hiking between 9-12 miles (15-20 km) off the beaten path, through small creeks, mountains, hills, and canyons with very little foot traffic.
- Cross over into the famous Laugavegurinn hike, considered one of the best hikes in Iceland.
- Set up camp with your new friends at lake Álftavatn a place, of great serenity and peaceful landscapes
- Enjoy the 20 hour daylight as you rest after an epic first day.
- For your first dinner on the hike, we’ll prepare a barbeque together as a group.
- After dinner we will play games, chill out, or take an evening hike
DAY 3 - Trek: Álftavatn to Emstrur
- Wake up and enjoy your first outdoor breakfast in the Icelandic wilderness.
- This morning we´ll take it a little easy and give the option to rest longer before our next hike.
- Hike between 9-12 miles (15-20 km) from Álftavatn to Emstrur.
- You will cross several rivers by foot and traverse through a volcanic desert
- Camp at Emstrur a lush camping area where you could meet other fellow hikers
- Take an evening hike to the stunning Markarfljót canyon where you’ll experience one of the most impressive gems in Icelandic landscapes not visited by many
- Dinner will arrive to our campsite from Midgard Base Camp Restaurant and you get to kick back and enjoy
- After dinner we will play some games together, tell stories, and hang out amongst the nature of Iceland
DAY 4 -Trek: Emstrur to Þórsmörk
- After a filling breakfast in the wild, get ready to enjoy another day of hiking through otherworldly landscapes
- Hike between 9-12 miles (15 – 20 km) from Emstrur to Þórsmörk
- Today, we’ll pass through an Icelandic forest, beautiful canyons, and small gorges
- Enter the beautiful area of Þórsmörk (the valley of Thor) and prepare the campsite
- Enjoy a party around a bonfire and relax after the long hike
- Dinner will arrive to our campsite from Midgard Base Camp Restaurant and you can sit back and enjoy
DAY 5 -Trek: Relaxing Day in Þórsmörk
- After three action packed days of trekking, enjoy a relaxing day in the most beautiful valley in South Iceland
- Take in the stunning views from the Valley of Thor where we’ll be perfectly situated between glaciers and volcanoes
- For those wanting to hike more, there will be plenty of possibilities for hiking in Thorsmork
- Enjoy the last night of our trek in the outdoors by taking full advantage of the long hours
- For our last trekking dinner, we’ll prepare a barbeque together and enjoy over a fire
DAY 6 -Trek: Fimmvörðuháls Trail
- Enjoy another delicious camp breakfast surrounded by Icelandic wilderness.
- After breakfast and an early start to the day, we’ll begin the last part of the trek
- Prepare yourself for most challenging day of hiking through Fimmvörðuhals
- Hike approximately 15 miles (25km) along the Fimmvörðuhals trail
- Trek through volcanoes, glaciers and over 20 waterfalls as we make our way to the iconic Skogafoss waterfall
- Arrive in Skógar, marking the end of your epic trek
- Take included transportation from Skógar to Midgard Base Camp in Hvolsvöllur
- Enjoy the rooftop hot tub and sauna located at this awesome Base Camp and relax after an incredible week of hiking through Icelandic nature
- Savour a homemade meal and party at Midgard Base Camp celebrating our accomplishment
DAY 7 - Departure Day
- Enjoy a delicious breakfast at the Base Camp before heading to the airport
- Take included transportation from Hvolsvöllur to Reykjavík og Keflavík airport
- We can also drop you off at the Blue Lagoon (entrance not included). Pre-booking is required.
- Reykjavík/airport pick up on day 1 and drop off in Reykjavík/airport/Blue Lagoon on day 7
- Certified Icelandic hiking guide and Wilderness First Responder
- Luggage transport for 5 days
- Camping equipment (ten, mattress, stove & pots)
- Camping fees
- 4 nights camping (2 person tent)
- 5 full days of hiking
- Full meals while camping are included (breakfasts, lunchboxes and dinners)
- The group participates in the cooking process which can consist of light and easy meal sor barbecues
- All special food requirements are easily taken car of
- 2 nights at Midgard Base Camp: 6 bed dorm
- 2 breakfasts at Midgard Base Camp
- Breakfast in Reykjavíkj
- Private transportation from Midgard Base Camp to beginning of the trek
- Private transportation from end of the trek to Midgard Base Camp
- Evacuation if bad weather hits
- Sleeping bag (if you don´t own a sleeping bag your can rent it for 5.500 ISK)
- Personal expenses
Up on request:
- Upgrade of accommodation at Midgard Base Camp
- Extension of trip
- Private trip